I made this two years ago, it’s about time I shared it! This is basically chicken noodle soup but with sauce instead of broth. As I’m all about chicken noodle soup, especially with homemade egg noodles, I love it with or without the broth (forget that my “sauce” looks more like broth, I obviously messed up by not thickening it enough, but you’re not going to, right?), and this is one of those hot comforting meals that seem essential during cold winter months.
In other news, today is the last day to enter my Tropical Traditions Gold Label Coconut Oil giveaway, and I also posted my announcement about February’s Sweetest Swap a lot later in the day than usual (after staying up until 6 AM on Monday so I could get all the details worked out and schedule the blog, I forgot to schedule it! Of course.) , so if you missed it, please check that out as well. Now let’s scare the chill out of our bones with some savory chicken and noodles shall we? And if you’d like to make your egg noodles from scratch, it couldn’t be easier, you can snag my recipe here.
Shredded Chicken with Noodles
Printable recipe with picture
1 whole cut up fryer chicken
2 whole carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
½ whole medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoons turmeric
¼ teaspoons white pepper (more to taste) (I used black)
¼ teaspoons ground thyme
2 teaspoons parsley flakes
16 ounces, weight frozen “homemade” Egg Noodles or same amount dried large egg noodles
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Cover chicken in 4 quarts water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from pot with a slotted spoon. With two forks, remove as much meat from the bones as you can, slightly shredding meat in the process. Return bones to broth and simmer on low, covered, for 45 minutes.
3. Remove bones from broth with a slotted spoon, making sure to get any small bones that might have detached. Add the carrots and celery and onions to the pot, followed by the herbs and spices. Stir to combine and simmer for ten minutes to meld flavors.
4. Increase heat and add egg noodles and chicken. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Mix flour and a little water. Stir until smooth. Pour into soup, stir to combine, and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until broth thickens a bit. Test and adjust seasonings as needed.
YUM! Your dish looks great. Thanks much for the reminder about your giveaway too…I intended to get there before now, but hadn’t, so I’m headed there now. Keep up the good work you’re doing here!! =D
That actually looks like the chicken soup my Mom used to make, I love those home made egg noodles. Have a great Wednesday!
Yum, this is soul food!
you know, i’m really not a huge chicken noodle soup fan (when i make a batch, i eat a bowl and ben eats the rest)…but i think i could get into this. i love that it’s sauce not broth. yum!
Veronica, this looks wonderful, Wish we could enjoy a bowl together, how fun that would be!
An ultimate comfort food!
Yep, total comfort food there. I could do this 5 times a week and guess what? So could John, can you believe that? Lol! I like your take on this dish..yum!
Very nice! I love noodle dishes, my obsession.
I want to dive head first into this and just swim and swim. I feel I’d smell of butter and be very soft and even squishier afterwards =) Yes, that sounds nice…very nice!
This such a great idea and feels slightly more feeling than plain old soup!
PS – I’m totally joining in the candy swap! Will sign up later today. :)