Condensed Milk Pound Cake

This is how crazy I am.  I made this pound cake for the first time last September and, without tasting it, submitted it to the state fair for judging.  I didn’t take a photo and haven’t made it since, even though it won third place for pound cakes.  The first two looked like they were made with browned butter, so I thought this must be a pretty good pound cake to get a 3rd place ribbon when this Plain Jane was up against some jazzed-up cakes.

I thought this was a good time to finally try the recipe for myself, while fresh berries are in season, because they make a nice topping for such a heavy cake.

If you aren’t already aware of it, you can confirm my undying love for cake by just taking a look at the long list of recipes I have posted for them (I have more cake recipes than anything else!).  But pound cake has never been my thing.  Which is just weird, because when it comes to cake, I’m all about the richness, and pound cake certainly fits that bill.  Perhaps it’s because pound cakes are served without frosting, and unlike certain aliens living among us (Ahem, my sisters! Imposters, I tell you.), I value my frosting and cake equally. However, this is one good pound cake.  Totally crazy-buttery with that soft and dense pound-cake texture.  A perfect base for a sweetened-berry topping and a dollop of whipped cream, or for a red, white and blue trifle, cubed and layered with berries and whipped cream.

I hope you try this pound cake.  I know I’m glad I finally did! :)

Condensed Milk Pound Cake

1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pan
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously butter 9×5 loaf pan and set aside.

Stir the flour and baking powder together in a small bowl and set aside.  Fit your food processor with the blade attachment and add the sugar, butter, and salt to the bowl.  Process until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl occasionally.  Add the condensed milk and pulse until well incorporated, about 15 times, scraping down the sides of the bowl once. Add the sifted dry ingredients and pulse until no traces of flour remain, about 10 times. Add the eggs and vanilla, and pulse just until combined, about 5 times. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and finish mixing by hand to fully incorporate the eggs.

Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Bake until the top is dark, golden brown and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.  Cool in pan on a wire rack for ten minutes, then unmold and allow to cool completely on the rack, bottom-side down.

Recipe source: Mocha Me

1. What a beautiful slice of cake, cream and berries. This is my favorite sort of dessert. I WILL make this cake.

2. I AM making it.. you teased so much with your photos!

3. Oh mercy! If anyone is like me, they could sit down with a can of sweetened, condensed milk and eat that alone. That stuff has to be laced with some kind of drug because I’m addicted.
    I’m adding yet another wonderful recipe of yours to my list. This one, however, will have to be hidden behind my dear mother in law’s pound cake recipe becuase my husband loves it when I use his mama’s recipes and pound cake is one of her specialities. Maybe I’ll just make yours and tell him it was his mama’s, do you think he’ll notice?

4. Berries and cream are pretty much my FAVORITE. Yes, the cake looks like the perfect excuse to load my plate with whipped cream. =)

5. This looks awesome! I needed a dessert for this weekend and I’ve found it. BBQing with some friends on Saturday and what a quick easy, yummy dessert :)

6. I too will make this awesome looking pound of love cake! Thanks mt sweet daughter!!!

7. I love pound cake with berries and whipped cream:-) FYI your blondies are a huge hit at the bake sale today!

8. Wow, you actually submitted this cake with out tasting it? That is very brave! Lol. The cake looks very good, and I have all the ingredients for it ;) Thanks!!

9. Like they say, less is more! I adore a pound cake – much more so than a fancy cake with a laundry list of ingredients. I’ve submitted quite a few cakes to recipe contests and the simpler is usually better. I’m going to put this recipe into rotation for my next gathering.

Cheers!
    Virginia O

10. Never heard of a pound cake – so learnt something new – yay… looks good!

11. I made this today and it was absolutely delightful. The only problem is that in the recipe it lists salt as an ingredient, but never mentions it in the directions. I just added it with the dry ingredients.

• Susan, you are quick! I’m so glad it turned out OK for you–I worry about how baked goods will turn out in other kitchens across America and the world, because even travelling as close as Texas, I had much different results with a recipe I’ve been making for years. Also, thank you for pointing out my omission about what to do with the salt. I have now fixed that.

12. I think pound cakes are totally underrated! I seem to forget about their existence but every time a slice comes my way (sometimes when I get my act together and make it), it never disappoints! Starbucks has an awesome one with a lemon glaze. Yum :)

13. laurie vanderboom

Well, Veronica, my darling girl…I was about to unsubscribe due my lack of time to read alot of my emails but THIS won my heart and once again my thanks for being the only food blogger worth her salt. I remain your fan…that takes alot since I’m an old home ec major from the 70′s and btw, organized the 4-H fair for a few years in Lake County, IL!!
    Laurie

• Wow, I am so honored by your praise and continued subscription! I know I have been posting more frequently the last month or so than in the past, but I’m trying to catch up with all the recipes I have waiting in the queue. I’m glad I managed to hold onto you despite all the emails you’ve been getting! Thank you so much for your support. I always try to convince myself I’m only blogging for my own pleasure, but the pleasure I get when I get a comment such as yours proves to me that my readers are every bit as important.

14. Pingback: Meringue Stack with Cream and Coconut from The Orgasmic Chef

15. I’m actually a total pound cake LOVER but I don’t think I’ve ever had a codndensed milk version! No good. Need to change that. With these berries and the whipped cream, this would make for the perfect 4th of July treat!

16. The cake looks delish! I’m sure there was a very good reason why you won third place :)

17. I made it..forgot to take a pic!!!! but plan to make it again….LOVE IT!!!

• I feel more accomplished, knowing that you made and loved it, than I did winning a ribbon! You are the ultimate judge, having won hundreds of ribbons yourself!

18. Pingback: Thankful Thursdays #39: pot roast for Dennis « Veronica's Cornucopia

19. Oh wow V this sounds so good and i myself love pound cakes !

20. Pingback: Laboring At Home « Veronica's Cornucopia

21. Pingback: Sour Cream Pound Cake « Veronica's Cornucopia

22. i am a huge fan of lemon pound cake n never thought of trying some other pound cakes.. but i sure want to try this one.. it looks amazingly delicious..
    just curious wont be it too sweet with all that sugar plus condense milk.. can i cut down the sugar to 1/4 of a cup.?

23. IIf i use oil not butter

• I think it would make the cake softer but am not sure if it would change how dense it is. Since it’s a very simple cake, the butter is a big factor in the flavor so it might not taste quite as good. I’d be interested to hear how it turns out if you try it.

24. This cake is in my oven right now! I did not have regular butter, so I used I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter (sshhh) the batter tasted amazing by itself!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!