Watermelon Black Bean Salsa

For the Holiday Recipe Club‘s Memorial Day blog hop, the secret ingredients to choose from were watermelon, beer, and pork.  I think I’m on a salsa kick because my last recipe for the HRC on Cinco de Mayo was for Fresh Mild Salsa, and the first thing I thought of when I saw that watermelon was one of the ingredients for Memorial Day was the salsa recipe my hair dresser gave me back in February.  I have been craving it ever since I read the recipe, imagining how wonderful it must taste, and I was trying to wait until watermelon were truly in season here in Wichita to try it (that happens in August for us), but with the added incentive of the Holiday Recipe Club blog hop, I knew the time had come.

This stuff is the bomb, yo!  The only change I made was to add in some lime juice, which I feel was essential to achieve the salsa flavor and balance the sweetness of the watermelon.  The beans, which may seem strange, are somehow a perfect fit with the flavors & textures.  I could eat this as a meal, it is so good!  It is juicy, and seriously addictive.  It is, however, best if eaten within four hours of making it as the watermelon leaks more and more water and becomes mushy after a while.  To serve this at your Memorial day barbecue or another gathering,  just have the watermelon prepped in a separate container than the other ingredients, then stir them all together and refrigerate an hour before serving and you’ll have a bowl of salsa perfection ready to wow your guests.

Watermelon Black Bean Salsa

2 cups diced seedless watermelon
3/4 cup finely diced sweet onion
3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
Juice from 1/2 a lime
2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
Tortilla chips

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients but the chips. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Drain if necessary before serving. Serve with chips within 2-3 hours of making.

Yield: 3-1/2 cups.

Veronica’s Note: I advise wearing latex gloves when handling and dicing the jalapenos, as the oils can burn your skin.

Recipe source: Jennifer L.

A big thank you to Erin for creating this club!  I’m having a lot of fun with it.  If you’d like to join or find out more, check out the Holiday Recipe Club website.  And don’t forget to check out the other Memorial Day recipes by clicking the linky frog below.

1. What a deliciously unique salsa – love the colour contrast :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

2. That looks fantastic, I will definitely give that a try in about 6 months when watermelon starts to come into season where I live :)

3. I’ll have to admit – when I saw title in the links, I was a bit horrified to see black beans and watermelon together, but it looks delicious! I need to keep this one in mind for the upcoming SEC football season – hubs is a UGA fan and I’m always looking for black and red foods to make for him!~

4. This sounds amazing, Veronica!!! I’d much rather have this than what I made…LOL!

5. Great minds must think alike because this was my HRC submission as well! I know yours was as good as mine was!

6. Seems like watermelon in salsa is the new hit, really like that idea.

7. Black Beans and watermelon? I’m sold! I have to try this lovely combination!!

8. What a unique combination, looks amazing though!

9. Beans and watermelon–who would have thought! And the more I dwell on it, the more I think I’d really like it . . .

10. Well shiver me timbers I never would have dreamed of putting watermelon and black beans together. The pink and black are striking and really look delicious! Time to change my thought process. You’re on a salsa kick and I’m on a sourdough one, haha…will it continue?

11. I have been seeing all kinds of watermelon recipes lately but this one is my favorite so far. I love unique salsas, and even my husband will try them. He will eat pretty much anything he can dip a corn chip in :)

12. Yum! Never woulda thunk it. So pretty and colorful. I was iffy about the watermelon and beans but I’ll take your word for it that it’s the bomb, yo! :) Oh, how you make me smile!

Um, I still have yet to make my HRC recipe! Oops…

13. this sounds so inventive! i haven’t bought watermelon yet this year, but when i do, i’ll definitely try this! :)

14. Hi Veronica, this is the first time I visit your blog. From what I’ve seen I am sure I’ll be back :) This is the first time I have seen this salsa. I am sure it’s delicious, I will try it soon. Thanks for the recipe.

15. Yes, the watermelon seeds were black poppy seeds :)

16. I never would have thought to add watermelon to salsa – love it!

17. I just love this salsa. I have been working on making a red, white, and blue fruit salsa with watermelon, blueberries and apples or pears, but I haven’t gotten the flavor I am looking for yet. I love that you added the black beans! Great idea! Thanks so much for your nice comments on my pork. In answer to your question~My husband thought I should try the recipe with beef, and I agree. I think it would be delicious! I will be making it sometime in the next week, so I will let you know.Thanks!

18. I never really think to do anything with watermelon other than devour it straight up unabashedly…but it sounds like the perfect salsa mix-in!

19. Andrea Zachary

I made this recipe as well as the Fresh Mild Salsa for our Memorial Day get-together with my Mom’s side of the family. They were both good, but the Watermelon Black Bean Salsa was a huge hit! There were only a few bites left in the bowl by the time I packed it up last evening. This is a great recipe! Thanks V-Dawg!

• Aw, this made me smile! So cool you made two of my recipes. So glad they loved it too! Thanks for letting me know. Hope you had a great holiday!

• Andrea Zachary

I forgot to mention that I actually doubled both recipe’s! So that’s further proof that the Watermelon Black Bean salsa is just awesome! Another cousin of mine also brought her own homemade salsa, so that’s my reasoning behind why the Fresh Mild Salsa wasn’t completely gone. :)

20. Very pretty dish and I pretty much love salsa so I can see this working together :)

21. Veronica, this is so pretty and delicious sounding! I love unique combinations of ingredients and this certainly fits the bill!

22. Salsa with watermelon?? Sign me up! :) I love it.

23. Thanks for keeping with me through my self-imposed hiatus. :) Really appreciate your comments.

I have nominated you and your blog for a Food Story Award: http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/

You are most deserving, foodie friend.

24. it looks so fresh… generally I don’t like salsa, but this one is definitely something I could have.

25. I made this for myself and it was gone in days. I loved it so much, I bragged about how great it was at a graduation party and passed out the recipe. My dad was upset that I didn’t share with him when I made it, so I made two batches yesterday. One for the father’s day meal and one for him to take home. He loved it so much, the bowl was gone before the meal was served! At least he has his batch to take home and enjoy this week! Thanks for the great idea, this is my new favorite summer recipe. I also made the lemon cake for my mom’s birthday we also celebrated today. As always, you are my favorite food blogger! I love your posts and when I get the new posts delivered to my inbox it brings a smile to my face! :)

26. Pingback: Sesame-Maple Roasted Tofu and Noodles