Oreo Cookie (or Cookies ‘n Cream) Cake

I have several cake & frosting recipes to share because I make a new one practically every week, so today and tomorrow I am going to post two favorites, one old and one new and I’ll try to post the others once a week so you don’t get sick of all the cakes.

This recipe was passed onto me from my Foodie Mama, Marina, last year and it quickly became my all-time favorite cake mix cake.  It always gets rave reviews, perhaps mine being the loudest.  :)  I don’t even like Oreos (yes, I’m weird. I know.), but I love this cake.  The frosting.  Oh, the frosting.  It is like….heaven.  It’s really all I need.  I could just eat the bowl of frosting and skip the cake, but the cake does provide a good excuse for eating it.

And while I know it doesn’t seem that appealing to be baking in 100+ temperatures (if you’re enjoying temps below 90, can I come move in with you for a few months???), this cake is served cold so it’s really nice to enjoy during these warmer months.  Or cooler months.  Or frigid.  Really, it doesn’t matter.  You can (and will) enjoy it any time.  I was just trying to give you another reason to make it.

Make it now.

Seriously.

Marina’s OREO COOKIE CAKE

Cake
1 Box white cake mix
Eggs, water and oil as called for on the box
~OR your favorite white cake recipe
15 Oreos, crushed

Frosting
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 (16 oz) box powdered sugar
1 (8 oz) container Cool whip, room temperature
15 Oreos, crushed
¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract

Cake: Grease and flour two or three 8″ pans (Marina uses three, I use two because I don’t have three).  Prepare cake according to package directions (or recipe directions), stirring in the crushed Oreos to the batter before dividing between prepared pans.  Bake as directed on box or in recipe, but start checking 5 (or more) minutes early if you choose to do three layers as they will bake faster.  Remove cake layers from oven and allow to cool completely on cooling rack.

Frosting: In mixer, cream the cream cheese and sugar. Add vanilla, mix well, and stir in Cool whip (do not beat it in or your frosting will turn out runny). Mix well. Fold in crushed Oreos until well blended & frost cooled cake.  Refrigerate cake until ready to serve and refrigerate any leftovers.

Makes 1 (8 inch) 2 or 3-layer cake

* Cake may be baked in a 13 x 9 inch pan or you can even make cupcakes; change the baking time according to the package instructions or your recipe.

Recipe source: Marina Castle

1. Fantastic cake!!! Was very much like the Oreo pudding desert I make but with cake instead of the pudding. I much prefer this cake version. I used reduced fat cream cheese and regular cool whip. My icing turned out fine.

Two things I will do differently next time. One is to make 3 layers instead of 2 because I had way too much icing for 2 layers (which by the way my husband was all too happy to help me with by eating it by itself by the spoonful) And secondly I will hand crush my Oreos. I used a food processor and in order to get rid of the huge chunks I had to grind it all way too finely. This made the cake appear like a dark “pepper” looking cake instead of white with dark chunks. Same great taste though! I WILL be making this again! Thanks Veronica!

2. I thought I was the only one who doesn’t like Oreo’s, this cake looks delish!

3. Stephanie Kozick

awesome recipe!!!! It’s not too rich, and the frosting is so yummy!
    if you do three layers, I would leave them in the oven about 5 min less than the lowest recommended time… mine came out a little tough around the sides from baking.
    And I crushed my Oreos in a bowl with a meat tenderizer and it was perfect! :-)

4. I don’t really like oreos either! How funny. It is definitely hotter than 100 here even late into the night. But it is a dry heat, so they say :)

5. What is the white frosting on this cake? Is it just cool whip?

6. Is it just the same frosting as the recipe but doesn’t have the crushed Oreos in it?

7. can I use whipped cream? I hate cool whip ever since I saw the ingredients.. It’s mostly sweetened margarine :(

• Yes I think you can! I’m not sure how much is in a tub, maybe a couple cups?

• Great recipe for a stable whipped cream frosting….
      12 oz cream cheese
      2 tbs sugar
      1tsp vanilla
      cream together on med or high speed

Turn to a low speed setting and slowly poor in 2cups heavy whipping cream. (dont over do it or you will have butter or it will go flat. Stop when it is fluffy)

Fold in the cookie crumbles….

This is called a “stable whipped cream frosting” because it doesnt have to stay in the refrigerator. It can be at room temp for several hours without melting.

8. what powered sugar here in aust (oz)

9. Did you use a white cake mix or your own white cake recipe??

10. I just made this cake today and it is absolutely delicious!!! I love cake and I love Oreos so I knew it was going to be great. I followed the instructions exactly and I thought the frosting came out perfect (it was not at all too thin as others have mentioned). I definitely will be making this cake again soon!

11. I was also wondering what type of cake mix you used (whether it be betty crocker, pillsbury, etc.). I used Pillsubry and the cake turned out DELICIOUS!! However I do have a problem with the consitency of the icing. I’ve made this icing twice already and have had the same problem each time. The first time I figured that it was too liquidy because I had over mixed it, but the second time I made sure not to do so and still came out with the same result! I don’t know what I’m doing wrong!!!

• I don’t like any Pillsbury mix except the white and it’s my favorite white mix! So yes, that’s what I used. :) It makes such an incredibly moist cake. As for the icing, when you add the Cool Whip, do you fold it in or are you using your mixer? I don’t use my mixer at all to add it – that causes it to be runny.

• I made sure not to use the mixer the second time yet it still came out runny……….although I have tot agree with you on the cake, it did come out wonderful!!!

• Did you use reduced fat or fat free ingredients maybe? If not then I’m at a loss…unless you’re in a very hot environment I have no idea why it would be runny. It should be fluffy and soft, but not runny.

• I’ve made the frosting using both regular and low-fat versions of cream cheese and Cool Whip; they come out pretty much the same, so I don’t think that’s your problem.

Perhaps you’re still over-mixing it. You have to be pretty gentle when folding in the cool whip. Here’s a really good video to illustrate the technique: http://youtu.be/YoZcebw9XZo

• I created this delicious frosting and have never had it runny….try this: cream well the cream cheese until fluffy, adding the confectioner’s sugar a little at a time. Add the vanilla and just mix to incorporate. Remove bowl from mixer and by hand with a cold spatula, gently fold in Cool Whip, then add the remainder of the crushed Oreo’s (cookies). Frost cake and refrigerate..Make sure your kitchen, utensils, and bowls are cold. Hope this helps….

• Yes I think the readers who had runny frosting were beating the cool whip in instead of gently folding it in. I’ve never had a problem with it. Thanks for creating this wonderful recipe foodie mama!

12. Pingback: Oreo Cookie / Cookies and Cream Cake | Make My Life Easy Blog

13. Pingback: Oreo Cookies and Cream Cupcake Recipe | Make My Life Easy Blog

14. Pingback: adventurefoodz.comCookies 'n Cream Cake: 1 Box white cake mix, crushed oreos. Frosting: 8 oz pkg cream cheese, powdered sugar, 1 container cool whip, crushed oreos, ¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract. | adventurefoodz.com

15. I found this recipe last year for my son’s tenth birthday. It went over so well, he requested it for this year too. Instead of frosting in between the layers, I use oreo pudding and then load the frosting on the top and sides. Mine does’nt look nearly as good as yours but it is a hit. Thank you ever so much for posting your recipes.

16. The pictures of the two cakes look like a lot more cake than from just one box cake?? But it’s definitely just one box of cake not two??

• I use 8″ round pans, which makes a taller/fatter cake than if you use the more typical a 9″ pans. And yes, I just used one cake mix. The Oreos do bulk it up a bit, making the batter have more volume and make more cake as well.

17. Made this for our T’giving lunch at work and I cannot rave about it enough! Fabulous! Got lots of compliments and my co-workers were disappointed when I took the rest of it home, lol! Soooo good! Made mine in 9×13 pan and turned out perfect!

18. I came across this recipe and I must admit it looks delicious! so delicious that I want to do this for my daughter’s birthday but I’m curious about something: the swirls at the top of the cake. I’ve seen that some say that there are left overs, can I take some apart to do the swirls from that, b4 adding in the Oreo crumbs?

19. Pingback: Oreo Cookie Cake | The Most Beautiful Cakes

20. Pingback: Oreo Cookie Cake

21. Pingback: Cookie Cake | Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes

22. Cant wait to try this!!!

23. Delicious cake! I followed the recipe and my cake came out perfect thanks for sharing this recipe

24. Made this cake last night for a friends cook out … I was so embarrassed how it came out I was just gonna toss it out, but my husband convinced me not to, the cake just fell apart while I was frosting it! I tried making it more moist by substituting the oil with butter !! Lesson learned !! Long story short, this cake was gone before the other 5 cakes that were brought to the cookout !! Delicious !! I will try it again following the exact same recipe !! I had no problem with the frosting, I did make it while the cake was in the oven then placed it in the fridge till it was time to frost the cake !!

• FYI, in my experience oil makes a more moist cake rather than butter. I don’t think the butter caused the trouble as the cake should have been more sturdy with the butter but I have no idea what might have caused it if that’s the only difference. I’m glad it was enjoyed despite it falling apart!

25. Have you tried homeade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip? I have Heavy Cream on hand and want to know if that might work as well as the Cool Whip.

• I haven’t tried it but I really think it would work – I believe the cream cheese would help stabilize it so it won’t water out like real whipped cream usually does. You would need as much as in a tub of cool whip, so I think you’d need at least a cup of whipping cream to make two cups.

26. This is a very delicious cake. It is so easy to make and everyone loves it. This is my, very picky, 14 year old daughters favorite cake. She’s been requesting I make it again. She volunteered to take cupcakes to school for a party, and of course she had the type of cupcakes in mind that she wanted to take. We just finished making them and she is excited to take them to her friends. Thank you for the recipe.

27. Pingback: Jessie’s 10th Bruffday Paw-ty | Veronica's Cornucopia

28. I am 13 years old and i love baking sweets under my (parent supervision) the only way to make my dream come true of being a baker when i get older.This has all ways and will be a dream of mine.My roll model is BUDDY of of CARLOS Bakery……

29. Hi!
    Thank you for posting a white cake base oreo cake! My son Javier loves chocolate Oreos but only white cake.
    Question:
    When you list Oreos in ingredients for cake and frosting, do you mean the entire cookie (with the creamy center), both sides of cookie only, or single cookie rounds?

30. Pingback: Cookies and Cream Cake Recipe | Diy & Crafts

31. Could you use this frosting plain? without the oreos?

32. By the way, I made this for my husband’s 40th birthday party in May and it was a hit! I have probably made it at least 5 times since…he is hooked and so are his friends!