Chicken and Dumpling Casserole

Chicken & Dumpling Casserole | veronicascornucopia.com

Although the first day of spring has come and gone, it’s been chilly and blustery here in Kansas, so I thought I’d share this warm and delicious casserole for everyone that’s still eagerly awaiting spring before it’s hot and sweltering and nobody wants to bake a casserole. This is pure comfort food and perfect to warm the soul on a chilly day.  It’s very quick and simple to make, which is good if you have a baby that has decided that if you aren’t holding him or playing with him or taking him on a stroller ride, he isn’t happy, because you won’t have to listen to him scream for very long  before dinner is in the oven. ;)

Chicken and Dumpling Casserole

3 – 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces (use rotisserie chicken if desired)
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups chicken broth
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup

Preheat oven to 400F. Place butter in 9″ X 13″ baking dish and place in oven while it’s preheating. Once butter is melted, you can remove the pan to continue with the recipe, or let it cook a little to brown it and add an extra dimension of flavor. Be sure to watch it if you decide to let it brown because it can go from nutty to burnt pretty quickly.

Remove pan from the oven and sprinkle prepared chicken over the top of the butter. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, flour, baking powder and salt. Pour over the chicken, but do not stir. In same bowl, after scraping out as much flour mixture as possible, whisk together chicken broth and cream of chicken soup. Pour that over top of casserole; do not stir.

Bake uncovered for 35 – 45 minutes. When done, the top will be beautifully browned and bubbly around the edges.

Yield: about 6 servings

Veronica’s notes: I boiled a whole chicken for this recipe. It was about 5 lbs and I covered it with water in a stock pot and added a teaspoon of salt, boiling for an hour or two. I forgot to set the timer so I really don’t know how long I boiled it because I was so busy with the baby- lol. If you make it this way, it’s very economical, and you automatically make your own broth to use in the recipe.

Recipe source: The Better Baker

1. Hello Veronica! This looks yummy!! My husband is a chicken and dumplin’ kind of man! I make a couple of variations- chicken and rolled dumplings; chicken and drop dumplings; chicken with biscuits baked on top (crockpot). This looks like another great variation. I’ll be trying this soon! That picture is making me hungry just looking at it!! Thanks for posting another great recipe!!

2. thebetterbaker11

Yeh Baby! I made this dish a while back and was shocked at all the flavor it had. Yours looks mouth-watering.

3. mmmm sounds so good. i love homemade chicken broth – it’s so good when you boil chicken in water. yum.

4. I can’t believe this but last week was the second time I got sick in a month and I neeever get sick. I wish I’d had this because I’m certain it would’ve made me instantly better! I love chicken and dumplings and the sound of your casserole intrigues me….looks amazing, V!

5. The casserole looks warming and very satisfying, Veronica.

6. I’m still in comfort food mode also, and this has definitely inspired me to make some dumplings in some sort of stew!

7. My store routinely sells chickens for under .99 a pound – love stocking up on them – and making your own chicken stock using the skin makes for the best soup! Looks delish V!

8. Looks yummy! I’m always looking for a quick meal-I’ve got a 5 month old :)

9. It looks wonderfully comforting! Spring finally JUST came to Ohio this week! Winter is still trying to sneak it’s way back though.

10. This looks so good! I don’t make nearly enough casseroles. YuM!

11. Just made this and it’s amazing! May I share on my blog with a link back to you?

12. Veronica, one day your lil’ man will thank you for being such an attentive Mama — and he’ll eat truckloads of your Chicken & Dumpling casserole! In the meantime, thanks for sharing this recipe… company’s comin’ and easy is my middle name. (Cooking wise, of course!) Thanks!

13. Oh my goodness, this looks so, so good and filling. Perfect for a blustery spring day!

14. Pingback: Chicken Dumpling Casserole | Minda's Cooking