Miracle Pan Release

I bake a lot of cakes.  It’s kind of my thing.  I even have a T-shirt that says, “Real Girls Eat Cake.”  Because I want people to know that the reason I eat so much cake is that I’m real, and not because I have a problem.  Although I may not be fooling anyone but myself with that shirt.

Anyway, because of all the cake-baking happening in my kitchen, I usually also have a can of Baker’s Joy or a bottle of Wilton’s Cake Release in my pantry because they make such an easy one-step job of greasing and flouring my cake pans, which nearly every cake requires.  With a push of a spray nozzle or a swirl of a pastry brush, my pans are covered in seconds and there is never a pile of flour laying around my trashcan.

However, I can be kind of a tightwad, so when my friend, Suzie, sent me the link for a miraculous recipe to make my own “Cake Release”-type product, I was overjoyed.  And let me tell you, it works SO much better than Baker’s Joy.  And just as good as Wilton’s product at a fraction of the price.  I’ve never had a cake slide out so easily, except when using Wilton’s Cake Release!  It is very shelf-stable and easy to make, so I encourage you to whip up a batch to keep on hand for your own baking projects.

Miracle Pan Release

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Whisk thoroughly until everything is incorporated and smooth. Store in airtight container at room temperature. To use, dip a pastry brush or impeccably clean fingers into the mixture and spread a thin layer over the bottom and sides of pan(s) for any recipe that calls for “greasing and flouring” your pans.

*Note: you can make any size batch you’d like, just make sure all amounts of each ingredient are equal to each other.

Recipe source: Apron of Grace

1. How long can this keep at room temperature?

• You need to know what rancid oil or shortening smells like because you will sure know when you taste it. I don’t think it is necessarily harmful but it will RUIN anything and you have to use vinegar to save the container.

• Thank you, that seems easy enough. I haven’t failed to get a cake to pop out since my early baking days.
        But, to know that there’s no need to grease and flour or cut wax & parchment papers is great. Actually, most times, in so anxious to start an recipe, I don’t prep my pans until the end because I dread the process.
        Now that I can brush on the last step, it’s more than likely that I will happily bake more cakes than before your great tip.

• I found this recipe over 1 year ago & it works perfectly every time. I have always stored firmer than if you left it at room temperature but still works just the same. I usually use a wad of paper towel to grease my pans with it.

2. My uncle gave me this recipe years ago and it really works. His recipe was called “Homemade Pam”, so Miracle Pan Release is probably a better name… no trademark issues! It keeps for at least 3 months if I remember correctly. I had lost his recipe and could not remember the ratio. Now I can start using it again! Thanks for posting!

3. Pingback: Onion, Cheese & Poppy Seed Bread | Veronica's Cornucopia

4. Pingback: 46 Life-Changing Baking Hacks Everyone Needs To Know | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

5. I’m wondering if I could get as good a result by using butter and coconut oil instead of vegetable shortening and vegetable oil (which are most likely made from corn, soy, or canola, all oils related trans fatty acids). Time for me to experiment?

Liked by 1 person

6. Pingback: 46 Life-Changing Baking Hacks Everyone Needs To Know | sooziQ

7. Pingback: Life Changing Cooking Hacks Everyone Needs To Know [Photo Series] | artFido's Blog

8. I’ve used this mix for 25 years. It’s the only pan release I use. It’s foolproof when brushed into the crevices of a detailed designed Bundt Pan.

9. Pingback: 10 Baking Hacks to help you bake to perfection – My Secret Bakes - Nazeeha Khan

10. Pingback: 46 Awesome Baking Hacks - Homemade Recipes

11. Pingback: 46 Awesome Baking Hacks DIY Ready | DIY Projects | Crafts - DIY Ready | DIY Projects | Crafts

12. Pingback: 46 Life-Changing Baking Hacks Everyone Needs To Know - TheBangkokGlobe

13. I finally found the alternative to spray oil or “grease and flour”. i can’t wait to try this. Thank you veronica.

14. Pingback: Useful Baking hacks and Cheats | fmsweets

15. Pingback: 46 Awesome Baking Hacks - Homemade Recipes

16. Since it has flour in it do you still need to flour pan after applying the mixture? Also if the recipe does not call for flouring pan can you still use this like when you make brownies etc.?

17. How long can this mixture be stored at room temp?

18. Hi,
    Thank you so much for this post I can’t wait to use this recipe i recently got myself into baking and all you need to know is :my husband is on a cake diet for now ! I can’t get my hands on vegetable shortening we don’t have it where I live unfortunately, what can replace it with?

19. Can I use this if a recipe requires me to only grease the cake pans? Or is it only used for “greased and floured” cake pans? :)

• It’s great for both. You can’t use it on savory dishes, but any sweet dish……. I use it exclusevily.

• I’ve only had one cake that this stuff made it stick worse, and that was a very fatty & sugary carrot cake. That cake is such a pain in the butt, I have to line even the sides with parchment or wax paper to get it out. But if you aren’t making a freakazoid cake, it should work for any recipe!

20. Pingback: Really Amazing Women | 46 Awesome Baking Hacks

21. Pingback: Beauty Association | 46 Awesome Baking Hacks

22. My grandmother taught me this recipe when I was nine. I’ve been using it for 54 years. I use a piece of waxed paper instead of pastry brush. Easier to clean than the brush…just toss in the trash.

23. Pingback: Backtrenn-Paste – die magische Formel :) | Kuchenkrümel

24. Pingback: 46 Trucos que te harán una estrella a la hora de HORNEAR ¡Cambiarán tu vida! | Difundir.ORG

25. butter and flour are a age old thing of your mother or grandmother making cakes

26. Can I use straight canola oil? And, just out of curiosity, why is this not able to be used on savory breads, dishes, etc? Seems like it should work for anything.

• The consistency will be different if you don’t use the shortening, but it might work – it’s worth a shot! And you can use it for anything, but it will leave a coating that would be unappealing for yeast breads. For quick breads and cakes, it is mostly undetectable b/c it kind of blends into the batter. You also would not need the flour addition to grease a dish for a casserole and the like – a spray of oil is all you need.

• Veronica has the right answer about the Canola Oil and the reaction to savory dishes. The reason I first started using it was for the intricate detailed patterns in Bundt Pans. The release is perfect. I spent a few years as a cake decorator and it’s the only thing we used for all of our cakes. Butter and flour alone are not effective in the Bundt Pan because the butter has a tendency to burn during baking and makes release difficult.

• Thanks, Terry! I don’t think I’d try it with casseroles. But, I just wondered if there was a difference with the savory breads and yeast breads. You’re right……those pesky bunds pans always need help, and greasing it never seems to do the trick all the time. I especially can’t wait to try this next Easter with my lamb cake mold passed down from my mom….it’s over 50 years old, and those darn ears always want to stay in the pan! I’m hoping I’ll no longer need to use the toothpicks!

• Thanks, Veronica! I should have been more clear….my bad! I was wondering if it was okay to use straight canola oil instead of vegetable oil, then combine with the shortening and flour. I don’t think the consistency would be good at all without the shortening. Yuck! 😄. I bake daily as we own a hunting lodge…..this will make my life just a little bit easier! Fantastic!

27. would this work if I am using a bundt pan?

• Absolutely! That’s what I use it for more than anything else b/c it works so easily (buttering and flouring a bundt pan is such a pain!) and the cakes come out perfectly.

28. Susan Slocter

Love this! I make it with cornstarch instead of flour. That is what is in Wilton Pan Release

Liked by 1 person

29. true mom does that too😃 she taught me to even use sesame paste (tahini) to grease the pan too😊 less calories i guess😁

Liked by 1 person

30. Do you use a piece of parchment on the bottom when using this with a regular round cake pan?

• You can, but it isn’t necessary. This truly does the work of a piece of parchment. If you would still like to use parchment, first grease the bottom of the pan with shortening, place the parchment round on top and smooth down, then use your miracle pan release and spread it over the bottom and sides of the pan.

31. I have tried several methods & spend a lot of money on new pans just to get my cakes to release perfectly without breaking. This is by far the best tip I have ever used & it’s simple enough to prepare. I baked my favorite two layer yellow cake w/ chocolate frosting last night & my cake looks amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I will be using this recipe for now on😊