Miracle Pan Release

I bake a lot of cakes.  It’s kind of my thing.  I even have a T-shirt that says, “Real Girls Eat Cake.”  Because I want people to know that the reason I eat so much cake is that I’m real, and not because I have a problem.  Although I may not be fooling anyone but myself with that shirt.

Anyway, because of all the cake-baking happening in my kitchen, I usually also have a can of Baker’s Joy or a bottle of Wilton’s Cake Release in my pantry because they make such an easy one-step job of greasing and flouring my cake pans, which nearly every cake requires.  With a push of a spray nozzle or a swirl of a pastry brush, my pans are covered in seconds and there is never a pile of flour laying around my trashcan.

However, I can be kind of a tightwad, so when my friend, Suzie, sent me the link for a miraculous recipe to make my own “Cake Release”-type product, I was overjoyed.  And let me tell you, it works SO much better than Baker’s Joy.  And just as good as Wilton’s product at a fraction of the price.  I’ve never had a cake slide out so easily, except when using Wilton’s Cake Release!  It is very shelf-stable and easy to make, so I encourage you to whip up a batch to keep on hand for your own baking projects.

Miracle Pan Release

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Whisk thoroughly until everything is incorporated and smooth. Store in airtight container at room temperature. To use, dip a pastry brush or impeccably clean fingers into the mixture and spread a thin layer over the bottom and sides of pan(s) for any recipe that calls for “greasing and flouring” your pans.

*Note: you can make any size batch you’d like, just make sure all amounts of each ingredient are equal to each other.

Recipe source: Apron of Grace

1. How long can this keep at room temperature?

2. My uncle gave me this recipe years ago and it really works. His recipe was called “Homemade Pam”, so Miracle Pan Release is probably a better name… no trademark issues! It keeps for at least 3 months if I remember correctly. I had lost his recipe and could not remember the ratio. Now I can start using it again! Thanks for posting!

3. Pingback: Onion, Cheese & Poppy Seed Bread | Veronica's Cornucopia

4. Pingback: 46 Life-Changing Baking Hacks Everyone Needs To Know | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

5. I’m wondering if I could get as good a result by using butter and coconut oil instead of vegetable shortening and vegetable oil (which are most likely made from corn, soy, or canola, all oils related trans fatty acids). Time for me to experiment?

Liked by 1 person

6. Pingback: 46 Life-Changing Baking Hacks Everyone Needs To Know | sooziQ

7. Pingback: Life Changing Cooking Hacks Everyone Needs To Know [Photo Series] | artFido's Blog

8. I’ve used this mix for 25 years. It’s the only pan release I use. It’s foolproof when brushed into the crevices of a detailed designed Bundt Pan.

9. Pingback: 10 Baking Hacks to help you bake to perfection – My Secret Bakes - Nazeeha Khan

10. Pingback: 46 Awesome Baking Hacks - Homemade Recipes

11. Pingback: 46 Awesome Baking Hacks DIY Ready | DIY Projects | Crafts - DIY Ready | DIY Projects | Crafts

12. Pingback: 46 Life-Changing Baking Hacks Everyone Needs To Know - TheBangkokGlobe

13. I finally found the alternative to spray oil or “grease and flour”. i can’t wait to try this. Thank you veronica.

14. Pingback: Useful Baking hacks and Cheats | fmsweets

15. Pingback: 46 Awesome Baking Hacks - Homemade Recipes

16. Since it has flour in it do you still need to flour pan after applying the mixture? Also if the recipe does not call for flouring pan can you still use this like when you make brownies etc.?