Wacky White Cake {Vegan}

I recently had a request on facebook for a vegan white cake recipe from a lady whose daughters both have extreme food allergies.  Since I don’t have one, I decided to try making one up, and unlike many baking experiments, this one turned out great the first time!  I combined my recipe for Wacky Cake with the Dairy-Free White Cupcakes recipe and although the resulting cake is heavier than a regular white cake, it is very moist and has a great flavor.  I have no pictures of the whole cake because I hate a whole row of the cake while it was still warm.  Oops!

Wacky White Cake

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (use clear to keep the cake white-I didn’t)
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and set aside. Sift all dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Make three wells and put the oil in one, the vanilla & almond extract in another, and the lemon juice in the last. Pour water over it all and mix until well blended. Pour into prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Frost with white celebration frosting, or your favorite recipe. (I made a simple glaze with lemon juice, water, and powdered sugar.)  Serve at room temperature.

1. hi there! how come I so far ignored the existence of your blog? I just subscribed. Will stay tuned. that looks like a simple and delicious treat by the way.

2. My daycare kids are going crazy over that cake! I think it’s the sprinkles that they love so much!

3. Mmmm! I need to remember to come here next time my vegan friends are over. I love how you’ve shared so many vegan desserts! It’s a treasure trove over here.

4. Of look how cute! I love the little sprinkles. Looks great!

5. Thanks so much, Veronica! The cake looks and sounds delicious. And you posted the recipe
    just in time for my wedding. Some guests that are coming are vegan and I wanted to find a good
    recipe for vegan cake so they could have some wedding cake, too. Thanks again!

6. Oh, I wanted to lick the screen that looks so tasty. Haven’t tried a white cake since becoming a vegan, I should! Thanks :)

7. SO pretty with the neon hundreds and thousands!

8. I’ve been wanting to do some experimenting to turn chocolate crazy cake (which I think might be similar to what you call wacky cake?) into a vegan vanilla cake, and now I won’t have to since you shared this with us! :)

I love how moist it looks…really perfect, Veronica. Pretty sprinkles too. :)

9. Wow, that looks so good – I am a sucker for white cake and sprinkles! :D

10. I haven’t ever really given vegan baking a try, but looks to me like you pulled this one off! Nice work.

11. I am SO impressed that you got this down on your first shot! It looks seriously awesome. Better than a box. I especially adore the sprinkles.

12. I’ve been looking for a vegan white cake recipe. I’ll have to try this one out. Thanks!!

13. Thanks for these simple vegan treats. I have many treat recipes that my kids love, but none so simple. I can whip this up with simple low cost ingredients and that is a treasure when you live in the middle of no where and vegan specialty foods cost a bundle. I dislike boxed foods and egg replacers! This is just as easy as a box mix and egg replacers and by far better in many ways!

14. Pingback: Wacky Pumpkin Spice Cake {Vegan} « Veronica's Cornucopia

15. Veronica, this looks delicious! I’m going to make it this weekend and let you know if mine was a success! Thanks for sharing!

16. Is it possible to get calorie counts? I know its a bother….but…I still would like to know :D
    thank you.

17. Hi would it make a big differance if you don’t put the leamon juice

18. Amazing cake!! It tasted sooo delicious, but it will be easier if I did a homemade glaze like yours, what is the recipe you used for this cake’s glaze? it looks perfect!

• So glad to hear you loved it. :) I didn’t use a recipe or measurements, I just dumped some powdered sugar in a bowl and added enough lemon juice to get a thick glaze consistency. I might have used half water to keep it from getting too tart, but I’m pretty sure it was straight lemon juice.